You have not been connecting effectively for a long time. Communication is breaking down and not existent at times. Things were hard enough before Covid-19; now, things are even worse.
You want things to be different; you are considering a “Hold Me Tight Workshop®”. With my Workshop, you will:
- Communicate authentically and connect with your partner.
- Practice new tools to navigate disagreements.
- Understand the science behind your disconnections.
- Diagnose your relationship’s unique pattern of conflict.
- Learn how to effectively apologize and address hurts.
My ONLINE “Hold Me Tight® Couples Workshops” are Different Than Most
Couples often pick a “Hold Me Tight Workshop®” based on dates and location. Mine is different from most due to it being online. In addition, other differences are:
- amount of assistance
Getting to Know You
Prior to the Workshop, you and your partner will each complete a confidential questionnaire so I understand more about you and your relationship concerns.
Additionally, we meet for 30 minutes to familiarize you with the technology and address any questions you might have about working online.
Private Conversations are Kept Private
On the day of the Workshop, you start the morning signing on from home or your preferred location. Online, you meet the two other couples in our video classroom. We can see one another because we are still a group, it’s just over video.
Then, we begin the Workshop, as I would do as if we were meeting in person. I explain about the biology behind our connections and conflicts in our relationships. I show some videos, you will laugh, maybe shed a few tears, and you start to understand how you can love your partner but feel so alone and misunderstood. Things start to click and make sense.
Then it’s time to apply what you have learned. Each couple goes to a separate breakout room for privacy. No one can hear your conversations; it’s completely your virtual room.
In this private space, you and your partner have structured conversations intentionally researched and designed to increase your understanding of one another, improve your communication, and deepen your connection. I will navigate amongst the rooms, making sure you stay on track and don’t escalate to the conflicts or shutdowns that may happen at home.
Being Mindful of Your Screen Time
Imagining watching a screen for two days is daunting for many people, including me! This Online Workshop is balanced; you will not be overwhelmed.
The Workshop is a balance between lecture/videos and private Conversations with your partner. When you are practicing the tools with your partner in a Conversation, you will be speaking with one another and not watching the screen. Even when I will ‘enter your room’ and assist you, you will be speaking with one another overall.
Additionally, I make breaks a little longer so you can get up, move around, and possibly check on the kids or family pet. You need to feel comfortable to do this work well; I understand and support that.
Based on Science
“Hold Me Tight Workshops®” are based on the science of romantic love and is a protocol developed by Dr. Sue Johnson. Through the framework of Emotionally Focused Therapy and adult attachment theory, we engage in the conversations that have been proven to be essential to successful couples.
You are reaching out for help because your relationship is in crisis. You don’t have the months (or years!) to work on your relationship; it’s just not going to last that long. You need tools and you needed them yesterday!
My ONLINE “Hold Me Tight Workshops®” are designed for couples:
- wanting to quarantine physically
- with busy schedules
- needing to see change and learn strategies quickly
- searching for a time-effective option to traditional weekly sessions
- needing a cost-effective option
In TWO days, you will receive almost FOUR months’ worth of therapy (which would cost $2250, assuming $150 per session).
I understand it’s still a financial cost, either way, but if you are going to help your relationship, invest in a strategy that gives you tools and change, quickly and effectively.
It’s Not What You Expect
Couples arrive the first morning with anxiety, worry, and awkwardness. You may be concerned it will be ‘weird’ to be with two other couples, unsure of the technology, doubtful significant change can happen over a weekend, and afraid you will experience more of the same pain you have at home.
As understandable as your fears and doubts are, every couple I have worked with has proven these false. From all my experiences, I KNOW you will leave the Weekend with fond farewells to the other couples and feeling amazed at what you have learned about your partner and relationship. You will leave with tools, understanding, a MUCH stronger connection and HOPE.
“Hold Me Tight Workshops®” are NOT All the Same
Although Workshops around the country have the same name, there are significant differences. I emphasize these, not as a business woman, but as a couples and marriage therapist who realizes you are hurting and want the best odds for success.
In brief, my Online Workshops are different than most because, well, they are ONLINE. Covid-19 has pushed us to do things online and I have adapted my Workshop protocol to meet that need. Other differences include:
- Group size: My workshops have a maximum of 3 couples; most workshops have 10, 15, 20 plus couples at a time.
- Getting to know you: You each complete a confidential questionnaire and I meet with you as a couple for 30 minutes, prior to the Workshop; most facilitators gather minimal information and do not meet with couples prior to attending.
- Privacy: Each couple works in their own virtual room; most workshops use a large conference room and spread couples throughout the room.
- Content: I go through all 7 conversations in the protocol; in other workshops, some facilitators omit the topics of sexuality and handling conflicts in the moment.
- Support: Each couple receives coaching during each exercise; most workshops commonly do not help couples unless asked and have a high ratio of couples to helpers.
- Follow-up: I reach out by email the week after and then a 30-minute follow-up video session two weeks afterwards. Couples therapy is available if needed (and can be done online); other workshops give no follow-up or an email at most.
- Support Afterwards: Couples who participate in a Workshop or Retreat with me are invited to participate in my Hold Me Tight Alumnae Facebook group. There, I function as a relationship coach. I give tips, video examples, and hold Facebook ‘LIVES’ to address ongoing questions you might have and blogs that I post. This is a unique support that other Workshops do not offer.
I love what I do and I want you to succeed!
How long is it?
Two days: Generally Saturday 9-5 and Sunday 9-4.
It’s 15 hours over one weekend and an additional hour with the pre and post Workshop sessions; equal to about 4 months of therapy.
How many couples will attend?
At the most, 3 couples attend.
What do We Need to have to Attend Online?
- Privacy and the ability to work without interruption
- Camera on your computer or Ipad
- Good lighting
- Access to a printer to print workbook materials
- (Recommended) HDMI cord to connect computer or Ipad to tv for easier viewing
Are same-sex couples welcome?
Yes. These Workshops are inclusive. I have Workshops for lesbians only at times as well. Check the Registration page for dates regarding these.
How much is it?
The cost per couple is $675.
What do we get with this?
- Pre-workshop questionnaire so I am familiar with your issues prior to your attending
- Pre-workshop session so we ensure you are comfortable with technology
- Workbook with exercises (printed by you)
- Plenty of structured practice with my coaching you
- Follow-up email
- Follow-up 30-minute video session
- Exclusive access to subsequent coaching or therapy with me if needed
- Weekly emails with tips and strategies to help your relationship
- Optional 4-page summary shared with yourselves and your providers
- Invitation to a private Facebook group for my alumnae only where you get continued access to me, additional tips, and support
Can we attend privately?
Yes, though not while under quarantine. My Private Retreats allow me to focus on you alone and are tailored for your situation.
Online Hold Me Tight® Workshops change your relationship over ONE weekend.
“Hold Me Tight®” is a registered trademark to Sue Johnson